Car insurance can be very confusing and not knowing if you have enough coverage can be scary.  South Carolina requires minimum liability coverage of $25,000 per person for bodily injury coverage, $50,000 bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 for personal property damage.  But, what happens if your liabilities exceed these limits?  You and you property are at risk!  It is important to understand what exactly liability means and to know what other types of insurance are available in order to make sure that you, your loved ones, and your property are protected.

Liability coverage covers only the people you cause damage to, not you, your passengers, or your car.  $25,000 is the minimum.  If you can afford it, consider increasing the dollar amount of coverage.  Comprehensive coverage insures your vehicle in the event of a fire, theft, vandalism, hail storm damage or other natural causes, i.e. you hit a deer.  Collision coverage insures most other physical damages to your car when your car hits or is hit by another car or object.

There are varioua types of liability insurance as well.  Property Damage Liability (PDL) covers you if your car damages another person’s property, such as their car or the fence in their yard.  Bodily Injury Liability (BIL) covers other people’s bodily injuries or death for which you are responsible.  It does NOT cover you or others on your policy.

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury (UM) covers your injuries (up to the amount of your policy) if the other party is at fault but he or she has no insurance or if the accident was hit and run.  It covers you, people on your policy, and your passengers for bodily/personal injuries.  Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury (UIM) covers you, your policy holders, and your passengers for injuries, damages, or death caused by the other person with insufficient insurance to cover your damages.  Uninsured Motorist Property Damage covers your vehicle when property damage occurs from an uninsured motorist.  Underinsured Motorist Property Damage covers your car when property damage occurs and the other driver has insurance but not enough to cover the damages to your vehicle.

In sum, in South Carolina it is mandatory you have at least the minimum car insurance requirements.  If you can afford it, comprehensive and collision are equally important and often insurance companies won’t sell one without the other.  Take the time to discuss with an insurance agent what they offer and what you can afford.  Don’t just sign up on-line.  You may end up saving yourself lot money and headaches in the future.

If you have any questions about how auto insurance works in South Carolina call the Kerr Law Firm at 843-785-3330 in Hilton Head, South Carolina for a free consultation.   We will be happy to answer all your questions.